Showing posts from July, 2017

How to avoid visa scam in Australia

New update on visa 457

Visa grant periods and ITOs

As of 1 July 2017, the Department will grant 457 visa periods of up to 4 years where the nominated occupation is on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) where: requested by the sponsor; and required to meet Australia’s ITOs as outlined below.

A four year visa period will still be available for ‘executive and senior managers’ where the nominee is: currently working in a WTO member country for the associated entity of an Australian sponsor (ICTs); or seeking to establish a new branch of the nominating business that is already operating in Thailand or China (Independent Executives).

 Note: The list of ‘executive or senior manager’ occupations, which are considered relevant by the Department in terms of ITOs, is available on the website and was also updated for 1 July 2017.
A four year visa period is also available in certain country specific scenarios, for example, where the position involves: an ICT and the nominee is currently w…

Visa 186 & 187 updates

Permanent visa update (Visa subclass 186 & 187)

1 July high income exemption changes
As previously advised, the AUD 180,000 high income exemption for English and Skill for the ENS (subclass 186) and Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa programs has been removed to strengthen the integrity of these visas by ensuring that applicants have the required skills and English language requirements irrespective of salary. 
The Department will, however, continue to apply the exemption as in force before 1 July 2017 to applications made prior to the 1 July 2017.  
This is to ensure that clients with applications in pre 1 July 2017 pipeline will not be negatively impacted by the change – with time of application requirements applying at the time of decision

General skilled migration & your age limit

This is another important topic. I have overseas clients telling me they are interested to apply for either visa 189 or 190. To my surprise , many still think they are less than 50 and they still meet the age criteria to apply for the visa. Prior to July 2017, the age limit for a primary applicant was less than 50 years old at the time of the invite to apply. However, from 1st July 2017, the age limit has been lowered to 44 years old. This means at the time of your invitation to apply, you as the primary applicant must be less than 45 years old.

Please note this is strictly applicable to the primary applicant not the secondary applicant.

A general advice, for those interested in applying for visa 189 or 190, do so asap, before your time runs out and you realised you've missed the age criteria.

When do I need a bridging visa?

What is a bridging visa? A bridging visa is basically a temporary visa that allows u to live in Australia whilst u wait for your substantive visa application to be approved in Australia. The most common bridging visas are;
Bridging visa A-This visa is granted to u automatically after u submitted your substantive visa application. However it does not allow u to return to Australia if u leave.
Bridging visa B-This visa allows u to re-enter whilst your substantive visa is being processed, provided u return to Australia within the specified travel period.
Bridging visa C- This visa can be granted if u lodge an application for a substantive visa but do not currently hold a substantive visa.
Bridging visa D- This temporary visa allows u to stay in Australia for a short period of time until u are able to make a substantive visa application.
Bridging visa E- if your substantive visa has ended, this visa allows u to stay in Australia whilst u make preparations to leave the country.

So when d…

What is a points test ?

Some of my clients whilst interesting in applying for a skilled migrant visa, they are not sure how or if they meet the criteria.

First of all, you need to understand the skilled migrant visas , namely subclass 189- Skilled independent visa or subclass 190- State Nominated visa, (subclass 489-skilled regional (provisional) visa are points tested.

So what is a points test?

The points test is used to help Australia select people who have the skills and attributes it needs.
The number of points you need to pass the points test depends on the visa you apply for.
You can be given points for a number of reasons, including your:
skillsageEnglish language abilityoccupationAustralian work experience and Australian qualifications.   Currently most occupation required you to score at least 60 points on the points test, with the exception of some occupations which requires an applicant to have a higher score on the points test.

Basically, if you apply for visa 189, you are not given extra 5 poi…